Changes were made to NC's bike laws in July 2016:
- Drivers can pass bicycles in no-passing zones if the motorist gives a berth of at least 4 feet and if the cyclist is not making a left turn.
- Effective December 1, cyclists must have a front and rear light – or wear a reflective vest or clothing that is visible from at least 300 feet to the rear.
- Clarified hand signals
- Stiffer penalties for aggressive drivers.
For full details, please visit ncdot.gov/bikeped/lawspolicies/
Rules of the Road
- Be visible. Wear light-colored or reflective clothing and use both front and rear lights from dusk to dawn.
- Ride defensively.
- Wear a helmet.
- Find a well-fitted bike.
- Be predictable.
- Use hand signals for turning:
Best Practices for Cyclists
The Clean Machine - 104 W Main Street, Carrboro, NC 27510 | 919. 967.5104
The Bicycle Chain - 210 W Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27516 | 919. 929.0213
Performance Bike - 1800 E Franklin Street, Eastgate Shopping Center, Chapel Hill, NC27514 | 919. 933.1491
PARcycles.com - 403 West Weaver Street, Carrboro, NC 27510 | 919. 525.6135
Back Alley Bikes - 100 Boyd St., Carrboro, NC 27510 | 919. 967.7777