UPDATE (Nov. 5, 2018): Due to the water situation in Chapel Hill, and at the recommendation of the town, the light-rail project public meeting scheduled for Nov. 5 will be postponed until Nov. 19 from 5 to 7 p.m. at Extraordinary Ventures, 200 S. Elliott Road, Chapel Hill, 27514.
Research Triangle Park, NC (Oct. 31, 2018) – Orange and Durham counties’ 17.7-mile light-rail project officially entered the federal government’s Engineering phase in July 2017, and as engineering has progressed, some beneficial refinements to the initial plans have been identified.
The changes aim to address public and agency comments, reduce project cost and incorporate recommendations on ways to improve accessibility and maximize the benefits of development around stations.
The refinements also will reduce conflicts between the light-rail system and vehicles on roads and add sidewalks and multi-use paths at strategic locations along the light-rail line to improve pedestrian and bicycle access to the proposed 19 stations.
Specifically, the proposed changes would:
- Modify the station platform lengths from three to two cars.
- Adjust the location and configuration of some platforms and tracks.
- Modify planned park-and-ride lots.
- Elevate the alignment on Erwin Road in Durham.
- Include drainage, grading and site preparation throughout the line.
- Modify the roadway along Pettigrew Street and Alston Avenue and adjacent roadways in Durham.
- Add a 19th station at Blackwell and Mangum streets in Durham.
The proposed revisions to the light-rail plans mean that GoTriangle has had to evaluate the environmental impacts that might result. The new supplemental environmental assessment was published this week, and GoTriangle is holding three public meetings where residents can drop in, talk with staff members and provide written comments about the proposed refinements. Those meetings are:
- Saturday, noon to 2 p.m., at SpringHill Suites by Marriott, 5310 McFarland Drive, Durham 27707
- Nov. 8, 5 to 7 p.m. at Monument of Faith Church, 900 Simmons St., Durham 27701
- Nov. 19, 5 to 7 p.m. at Extraordinary Ventures, 200 S. Elliott Road, Chapel Hill 27514
Can’t make a meeting? GoTriangle is offering the same information and opportunities to comment online here.
Comments also may be provided in writing until Nov. 30 by: