The Triangle has been one of the fastest-growing regions in the United States. Each day, 20 new residents call Durham and Orange county home. This growth remains strong and brings challenges and opportunities for both how our communities develop and how we get around.
The Orange County Transit Plan was approved by the Orange County Board of Commissioners and the GoTriangle Board of Trustees in April 2017. View the Orange County Transit Plan.
Some of the projects and initiatives outlined in the plan include:
- Increasing bus service from GoTriangle, Chapel Hill Transit and Orange County Public Transportation.
- Buying vehicles to support increased bus service.
- Adding bus facility projects such as transit stop improvements and increased accessibility.
- Creating a bus rapid transit project connecting the northern and southern parts of Orange County.
- Building a light-rail system connecting Durham and Chapel Hill.
Transit plans in Durham and Orange counties are strategic decisions. Exceptional public transportation can accelerate economic growth, provide congestion-free transportation alternatives and enhance job access and opportunity for residents across the income spectrum. The overarching goals for the transit plans include:
- Improving overall mobility and transportation options.
- Providing geographic equity.
- Supporting improved capital facilities.
- Encouraging transit-supportive land use.
- Providing positive impacts on air quality.